Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week #5 Prompt: Defining Ethics

     Although the The Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics are currently under review, it remains in effect for all veterinarians. The introduction to The Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics states: 
     "All veterinarians are expected to adhere to a progressive code of ethical conduct known as the Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics (the Principles). The basis of the Principles is the Golden Rule. Veterinarians should accept this rule as a guide to their general conduct, and abide by the Principles. They should conduct their professional and personal affairs in an ethical manner. Professional veterinary associations should adopt the Principles or a similar code as a guide for their activities."
    While this introduction broadly explains that all veterinarians should follow these rules, the principle of ethics explains in detail what is expected of them. In general The Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics says that veterinarians should always put their patients needs first, always try to improve, and not  let outside sources influence how they treat their patients. These key points in the code of ethics stood out to me because they correspond to my own beliefs and I can relate to them as a college student. 


"Veterinarians should first consider the needs of the patient: to relieve disease, suffering, or disability while minimizing pain or fear."
- This relates to my own belief because as a person I think it is important to think of others before myself. Especially when people are need someone to be there to help them, the selflessness of my own actions could help them get through a bad time in their lives. As a college student, being surrounded by many different kinds of people can be difficult, and it is a big transition. Helping and understanding that other people are not necessarily cope the same way I do, I can practice putting their needs first. Although this is not the same as treating animals, to me, the basic idea is very similar.


"Veterinarians should strive to enhance their image with respect to their colleagues, clients, other health professionals, and the general public. Veterinarians should be honest, fair, courteous, considerate, and compassionate. Veterinarians should present a professional appearance and follow acceptable professional procedures using current professional and scientific knowledge."
- This relates to my own beliefs because I think it is important to always be the best person you can be. As a college student it is easy to go to class, or even to skip class, and just sit in bed all day like a potato; however, to be the best person I can be, I not only go to class, do the work and study, I also find social clubs and organization while also finding a job. Balancing all these different aspects of my life, is practice for how I can balance my career while also trying to find new ways to improve in it. However, improvement does not stop at successfulness or becoming better at doing tasks. Improving also means becoming a better person. Veterinarians should be honest, fair and so forth, and although being a college student does not necessarily prepare me for that, living on my own and growing up does. 


"The choice of treatments or animal care should not be influenced by considerations other than the needs of the patient, the welfare of the client, and the safety of the public."

- This relates to my own beliefs because I think it is important to make my own opinions, and take my own actions uninfluenced by what other people say and do. As a college student I can practice this easily because I often have to try to remain unbiased to other's opinions in regards to my friends, professors and even their opinion on my major. I think being a college student will help me practice this more based on the fact that there are so many different opinions in one place, that I constantly have to decide what is best for myself, or in the case of my major, what is best for the animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment