Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Free Post: "Elephant Painting a Picture"

As you can tell, this video shows an elephant painting a picture. However, he is not painting just any picture, but he is painting a self portrait. Although this is not necessarily concerning veterinarian medicine, it is still very important. In order for this elephant to be capable of drawing a self portrait, he needs to be trained, and in order to train an elephant, the trainer must really understand him and how his mind works. Understanding animals, especially undomesticated ones is not an easy job. Animal trainers and zookeepers need a lot of training, but they’re not the only ones. Wildlife Veterinarians also need to understand animals by the way they think, learn and act. Although this video might not seem very necessary or relevant, it opened my eyes to an entirely different aspect of wildlife that I didn’t pay much attention to in the past. As I watched and was amazed at this elephants ability to paint himself, I thought about all the other amazing things animals are capable of. I started searching google and youtube for other videos similar to this and realized that now-a-days people use videos and social media to show and help the world to understand these wild animals. These methods are a quick and simple way for people like me to get a better understanding of the life of working with wild animals.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to say that this is a really interesting post, I have seen such things happn in China, like animal trainers train monkeys or apes to ride bikes. The capacity of wildlifes is infinite, such as the squirrel outside, they can adapt to cold winters and survive during hot summers in East Lansing, such little things can survive the heavy weather, I think it is time to start put an eye on wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this video before and it never seizes to amaze me that this elephant is capable of painting himself. I believe it takes a special person to get along with and understand how these animals work in order to work with them efficiently, though I have never thought about how a wildlife veterinarian would have to understand these animals to a deep level also. Now that I think about it, you are very correct. Just like any trainer or zookeeper of a wild animal a wildlife vet should know and understand how these animals think and act as well so they are capable of treating them and dealing with them in a correct fashion. What types of other cool animals talents did you find while searching? Do you know if some animals are more capable of higher level tasks than others and why?

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you found this post interesting! I have heard of some animals that are trained, a lot of times it's animals similar to those in the circus, and especially monkeys.

      Delete