Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Week #3 Prompt: Interviewing a Professional

     Interviewing a professional who works with animals from zoo's or from the wild was much more difficult than I realized. Many of them are very busy, which is understandable. However, in order to become a Wildlife Veterinarian, I am graduating as a Zoology major; therefore, I interviewed my Zoology advisor, Katie Licht. During my meeting with Katie Licht, she not only talked to me about my personal goals and what I can do in order to become someone who works with exotic animals, but she also gave me great insight into her profession. 

What routes can someone take in order to work with exotic animals?
     -Well there are a lot of different options, especially in the Zoology field. You can either go to veterinary school and specialize in a species, or you can go to grad school and specialize in learning their behavior, which is somewhat what I did, or doing research, or you can participate in internships or volunteer places.

Do you like what you're doing now?
     -I love Zoology but I wish I would have taken a different route in grad school. There are 3 options in order to work with animal behavior, and I chose more of a psychology behind people and animals rather than just animals themselves, which I do want to start working more with.

What is your best advice to students that want to go to grad school or veterinary school?
     -Take all your recommended classes, and work very hard. Also, participate in internships and work with animals to get as much experience as you can.

How often do you work with animals?
     -Well my friends actually work a lot more with animal behavior and training than I do. They work at zoos and have to train the lions to sit before they eat and things like that. 

In any profession working with animals, what kind of writing do you have to do?
     -Well it all depends exactly what your job is and entails. If you are a researcher, you're going to have to write notes and more of scientific journal typed writings. Whereas, if you are a traditional vet you write follow-ups and examinations on your patients.

How do people in this career path do their writings?
     -There are a ton of different ways people can write and get their information out. Some people write blogs, or scientific journals. Also, some people end up being professors or do some sort of teaching, so they write all of their knowledge in books or lectures. 



     I think talking with Katie helped me in regards to pointing me in the right direction. Also, she had a lot of good points and different inside perspectives on each different path I could take to become someone working with wildlife. I think her experience as she went through school and her career opened up my eyes to the different experiences I will go through. 



No comments:

Post a Comment