Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Free Post: Gorilla Doctors

   While doing some research on the internet, I stumbled across an article about a group of veterinarians who call themselves The Gorilla Doctors. The Gorilla Doctors is an organization dedicated in saving the mountain gorilla species. According to the website, there is only around 800 mountain gorillas left in the entire world, and more are dying from diseases and other health problems every day. This group of international veterinarians are traveling to different countries around the world to help save this species. They go by the motto "Saving a species, one gorilla at a time." 
           The Gorilla Doctors have a website, www.gorilladoctors.org, where people can view pictures and read stories of the gorillas these vets have saved. They also have a section where they talk about who they are and what their mission is. They use the media, as in Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc., to deliver their story to the world. The style of writing they use on their website relates to readers and makes them care about the gorillas that this company is working so hard to save. There is even an option to donate to the organization to help them continue saving these animals. The Gorilla Doctors have news clips and offer special trips for people to go visit these gorillas as well.
       Because of this organization, the mountain gorilla population is growing and the gorillas are getting friendlier with human interaction. The work that The Gorilla Doctors are participating in is the kind of work I want to do once I get my degree. I want to be able to interact with and care for animals similarly to the way this organization does. 




References:

"Gorilla Doctors - Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project - Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project." Gorilla Doctors - Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project - Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project. Gorilla Doctors, 22 Jan. 2014. Web. 22 Jan. 2014.

4 comments:

  1. What exactly interested you to search for this website? It sounds mighty interesting if I don't say so myself. My more detailed question is, what exactly do you want to do with a wild life vet med career? Are there specific wild life animals or areas that you would prefer to work with/in? And are gorillas one of them? It seems as though the possibilities are limitless. Could you see yourself dedicating your work to a certain species of animals to help with their needs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so much interested in searching for this website, but I just happened to come across it. I found a blog on the internet that talks about all sorts of organizations like this one, and I just found this one to be somewhat interesting.
      To answer your question about what i want to do with my career is at this point in time I am not sure. I know I want to work with animals other than cats and dogs, because I don't agree with a lot of the reasons people bring their pets into the vet. I’m not really sure what animals I want to work with, personally, gorillas are not a favorite of mine, but if I got the opportunity to work with them I wouldn't turn it down. My favorite animal is an elephant, so if I ever got the chance to work with one I would take it in a heartbeat. I would also love working with baby animals, but then again, who wouldn't. I can definitely see myself working with one species, but my curiosity for the other species could get the best of me.

      Delete
  2. I agree that you idea. I am respect your bravery to be a volunteer to help these animals. But I still have some questions, do you think you can insist to do this job for a long time or you just to do this for your interesting? Will you family support you that and agree you go to these kind of dangerous area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find this job very interesting yes, and I can see myself working with exotic animals for a long time. Although if I get different opportunities to work in different places I would consider changing. Also, my family supports me in whatever I decide to do; they just want me to be happy and they agree that working with animals would make me the happiest. Although these areas are dangerous, I would not be without protection, and I would definitely consider the risks before taking any time of job like this. With wildlife medicine I could work in less dangerous areas like zoos, but this was just a very interesting article that I could see myself doing one day.

      Delete